You’re probably sitting down reading this right?
It sucks right? Now, I don’t mean that in a negative or offensive way. It is simply what life has come to be. You better than ANYONE knows how hard it can be to lose fat when you sit all day working a 9-5 job.
Here is my guess…(correct me if I’m wrong)
The weekend was spectacular. A good amount of time was spent with friends and family. On top of that, you managed to stay on track with your fitness/health goals. Then, Monday morning comes and you show up to work for breakfast tacos!
I get it. Soon, that turns into catered lunches, happy hours, and countless treats in the breakroom. As hard as you try to manage yourself the TEMPTATION IS REAL and you end up giving in. This continues to be a vicious cycle and you just don’t know how to handle it.
So now what?
Luckily, it doesn’t have to be that way any longer. Because losing fat is possible, even while sitting all day. Keep reading, because implementing these eight tips in the office will mitigate all these “temptations”.
1. Bring Your Own Food (Crucial)
- Easier said than done right?
- This is the most important part.
- If you fail to plan you plan to fail!
- Build your meal = protein (fist), carbs (handful), veggies (2 handfuls), and fat (1 thumb).
- You’re less likely to mindlessly eat if you bring your own meals.
- Make sure to store them in BPA free Tupperware containers.
2. Get Some Air During Your Lunch Break
- Yes, really!
- Literally, step outside during your break.
- If you’re going to sit for the rest of the day then why not move as much as you can during the small time you have?
- Get some fresh air and get those steps in.
- Try to get at least 10-15 min of sun exposure for optimal levels of Vitamin D.
3. Take Quick Breaks To Stretch
- Bad posture? Tight neck? Rounded shoulders?
- Quick fix = stretch every 30 minutes.
- Stretch your neck side to side for full 15-second hold.
- Do the seated hip & glute stretch to open the hips.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades back together for 15 reps and hold.
- Perform a full range of motion.
4. Keep Low-Calorie Snacks at Your Desk
- You want to think about protein and healthy fats here.
- This combo will keep you satisfied, energized, and keep cravings away.
- Greek yogurt and mixed berries.
- Real whole-food protein bar and an apple.
- Cottage cheese and figs.
- Natural whey protein or raw organic plant-based protein shake with cinnamon and a banana.
- Raw organic coconut butter with a string of fat-free cheese.
5. Don’t Even Think About The Breakroom
- Stay busy, do your work, and be productive.
- If you don’t see it you won’t eat it.
- If someone offers a snack it’s OK to say, “No thanks!”
- Remember, you determine the outcome.
6. Drink Zero-Calorie Drinks (Hydrate)
7. Don’t Stare For Too Long, Move!
- What happens when you get caught up in what you’re doing and not pay attention to time? You forget to GET UP.
- Get a high-quality activity tracker or FitBit and set an alarm every 30-40 minutes as a reminder.
- Use the bathroom more often (drink more water).
- Try standing during phone-calls.
- Make quick runs to the copy machine for co-workers.
8. When Cravings Strike, Eat Real Chocolate!
- Say what? Yep, you heard that right.
- Who knew chocolate could lead to fat loss.
- REAL unprocessed chocolate (cacao) will take your fat-burning into high gear.
- It also provides you with antioxidants, minerals, and flavonoids.
- Not to mention stress relief and the bliss sensation of chocolate (yum).
- Snack on organic cacao nibs (their taste is unreal)
- Mix a serving or two of organic cacao powder into your coffee or drink.
*Thrive Market is my online shop for top organic products like this (get 25% off your first order)
That’s A Wrap!
The tips above are what I have found to be the best ways to help clients stay on track with their goals. I want the same for you. Perhaps, the biggest one is bringing your own food to work. Just remember, nobody said it was going to be easy but taking time to prep can go a long way.
At the end of the day, calories are the determinant on whether you lose or gain fat in the process. Just keep in mind that those occasional eat outs with co-workers, catered lunches, or breakroom snacks can significantly impact your progress.
No, I’m not telling you to be anti-social or restrain from having a fast-food meal here and there. This is about building habits. So whether you start doing all these tips tomorrow or today progress is what counts.
So let me ask you…
What is the one thing you can do today to get closer to your goals?
Which of these tips will you implement first?
Are you ready to lose fat while sitting all day?
I hope this post helped you! Please share & refer others who might benefit from this!
P.S. If you would like to get personalized nutrition coaching from me just fill out the free form and let’s get to work.